[plug] laptop screen resolution in ubuntu

Hendrik Strydom hns1 at iinet.net.au
Mon Feb 26 20:16:51 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-02-26 at 19:17 +0900, Gavin Chester wrote:
> I have an old toshiba satellite 4090 (celeron 400, 128Mb ram, 6gb drive)
> that I have installed edubuntu 6.06 on because of its lower hardware
> demands.  Trouble is, I can't seem to get the screen resolutions I want
> - it tops out at 800x600 with a wide border all around.
.. snip

You can switch between modes with Ctrl+Alt + keypad plus (often Fn +
whatever on a notebook, i.e a four button keypress).  xvidtune will
inform you as to the current screen parameters.
24 bit default is quite steep on older hardware - I suggest you try 16
bit or 15 if your hardware supports it, i.e. change DefaultDepth to 16.
Also erase the 1 and 4 bit sections.

Regards
  Hendrik