[plug] Make The Move website launched!

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Fri Jan 5 12:00:14 WST 2007

At 07:12 AM 5/01/2007, Chris Smart wrote:
>Dear pluggers,
>
>I am a clugger, but wanted to post to the plug list about a new website
>that I've launched, http://makethemove.net (coding by MattV in Albany).

Well done to Chris and MattV.
Couple of comments in a constructive spirit, if I may...

1. In the "Why should I Move?" section's "compatibility" subsection I would
be cautious about saying that Linux "runs on anything ..[even the].. old
ones that you were going to throw away."    While few people these days
would have 386 machines running Win9x with 64MB RAM, the experience of
moving from that configuration - which does function with acceptable speed
- to the same hardware running anything other than Computer Angels' distro
is likely to lead to disappointment.

I think someone on the PLUG list made the comment before....    Setting up
too much positive anticipation might be counter productive.    Indeed I
have seen Win XP out perform Ubuntu and SuSE on low-end hardware so perhaps
suggest a minimum specification for hardware that most first-time users
would find acceptable?

2. It might help to have another link to commercial entities, schools,
local councils, government bodies and even countries that have embraced
Linux.    There are several major international banks and the German Postal
Service(?) that have gone over to Linux and / or FOSS.    A sort of "Case
Histories of Significant Movers to Linux" page.

3. Not sure if this suggestion is appropriate and if so, this would need
the approval of the SLPWA group as well as Chris.    What about a link to
SLPWA insofar as providing "comfort" for corporate employees who might
visit the site?  There may be commercial organisations in WA which would
move across if they felt that commercial-grade support was at hand.

I like the nice clean no-fuss layout :-)   I also like the page detailing
"FOSS that you may be using now" - I think it is important to allow people
to come to the idea of FOSS gently and this is a nice way to do it.

Regards,
Denis