[plug] Make The Move website launched!

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Sat Jan 6 20:42:39 WST 2007

On 1/6/07, Gavin Chester <sales at ecosolutions.com.au> wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-01-06 at 09:52 +1100, Chris Smart wrote:
> > > My aging CRT had bit of a wrestle with the recommended resolution of
> > > 1024x768.
> > Hmm.. the site can be viewed in 800x600, but it squashes the boxes and
> > there's a scrolling issue because of the floating footer. It should still
> > work, but not the nicest. Might be able to fix that in the next release.
>
> A few comments if I may:
> 1/ Great concept and good on you for putting in the enormous time and
> effort :-);
> 2/ The issue of aesthetics is contentious, but I believe both the
> aesthetics and screen resolution issue (ie, the 800x600 thing) could be
> better satisfied by scaling down all your graphic elements on the home
> page.  They could easily be 50% of the current size and still be good
> looking, particularly the bar of graphics on the footer;
> 3/ On that last aspect - what is the purpose of that bar of graphics?
> In usability terms, it tricks me into thinking that is a a navigation
> tool, but nothing happens because it's just decoration.  Small point but
> a minor "gotcha";
> 4/ Still on that aspect ;-) - if you scale your browser window, the
> floating footer is fine but the graphics bar just 'disappears' with no
> scroll bar showing to get access to the now missing page content.
> Tested with firefox and konqueror;

To add to that - I run at 1024x768, but have a few firefox and gnome
toolbars taking up vertical screen space, with the result being I
can't read the text on the bottom three front page 'buttons'.

My opinion with websites is that in an ideal world they should degrade
gracefully to deal with any resolution - even mobile phones and pdas.
Whether or not this is possible within the resource constaints of a
given project is another matter - I can definately say that not all
the sites I've done meet that criteria :)

Other than that, and probably the navigation issue mentioned, a great
idea and site.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au