[plug] "Editing" PDF/PS Files

Adam Davin byteme-its at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 10 16:23:50 WST 2007

Hi all,

On Wed, 10 Jan 2007 10:06:08 +1300
Craig Ringer <craig at postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:

> Timothy White wrote:
> > Once again, the question is raised... You have a form in PDF/PS
> > format, and just want to type over it so you can fax it without it
> > ever having been printed onto real paper.
> > Under windows, we would convert to TIFF, and use "Imaging" I think
> > it's called.
> >
> > Any suggestions for Linux, or just convert to TIFF and use GIMP?
> > It's just a "Image" not a real PDF form.
>
> If it's not a real form then I think you have the right way. GIMP will
> call GhostScript to do the conversion, so you don't have to fiddle
> around with that either (but be sure to have gs >= 8.15 for decent
> results with PDF). In fact, I'm not sure I can see any other way to
> do it.
>
> I think real PDF forms can be filled using pdftk or multivalent (I
> don't remember which).

Another "option" might be something along the lines of:

1. Convert PDF to image (gimp)
2. insert image into a "document" (openoffice) and push to the back
3. add "Fields" / text boxes in appropriate places,
4. Save as template
5. fill out as required.

This may be more effort than wanted to be put in, but something else to
think about, depends, I guess, on how many times you need to fill it
out.

You could also do some "script-fu" or perl-fu stuff in Gimp. Once you
have the coordinates of the fields, enter the text into a file to be
"pasted" onto the background image.

I did this kind of thing a few times when I was playing around with VCD
menu images and the menu entries I wanted overlaying the pictures.

If you want some examples I will see if I can dig up my old stuff. I
think it should be around somewhere.

Regards,

--

Adam Davin