[plug] Ubuntu 6.06 installation/address resolution - update.

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Mon Jan 15 19:20:00 WST 2007

Hi PLUGgers, has anyone any further ideas about this ongoing problem?

The following is copy of post made on December 11 2006, as a result of
which a number of suggestions were made by Tomasz Grzegurz and others on
the basis that I claimed that web addresses were not being resolved - but
now I'm not so sure...

> Any Ubuntu experts out there?
>
> I thought installing Ubuntu was supposed to be a doddle - but internet
> access is proving to be a big hassle.
> After 'blacklisting' ipv6 and disabling it in Firefox, web sites are now
> accessible, and modifications to Evolution adding numerical addresses
> for mail servers instead of the literal ones has made the mail system
> work but web addresses are not being resolved in the Synaptic Package
> Manager. I can't get additional packages or upgrades...
> All sites respond to ping though.
>
> Anyone else had similar problems?
>
> regards
> Dave Dartnall

It seems that web addresses are being resolved but I'm still stumped.
This is a summary of my progress to date...

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS:

	LIVE DISK: Firefox appears to find web addresses, (changes from 'looking
for xxxx' to 'connecting to xxx' but times out). Can ping the address.
Using 'about:config' and killing ipv6 networking makes it work.
Evolution setting up for pop mail server 'Querying server for list of
supported authentications' times out with minimal modem activity, similar
response for 'Send/Receive', no access to either pop or smtp servers -
timed out. Network settings indicated 'interface eth0 is active, ppp0 not
configured', DNS server 192.168.1.1, (the address of my Netcomm NB% ADSL
modem router automatically arrived at) - I didn't provide this. Again
pinging web addresses worked with some packet loss and returned the ip
address of the site.

	I did a complete REINSTALLATION: which was slowed down by it's attempts to
access the software repositories, with exactly the same results as above.
Sources.list was modified by the installation process with repository
indexes being commented out as they 'failed to verify' so that as finally
installed there were none active in sources.list. Removal of the hashes and
running Synaptic Package Manager produced the familiar 'Failed to fetch ...
' response.

	So I'm exactly back where I started, both the XP and Mandriva systems on
the same machine work fine and the XP system on my wife's computer (which
previously had DNS server addresses hard coded, and which I have changed to
auto) also works fine.

What have I missed?

regards
Dave Dartnall