[plug] Ubuntu 6.06 installation/address resolution - update.

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Wed Jan 10 18:53:51 WST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-15 at 18:20 +0800, Dave Dartnall wrote:
> Hi PLUGgers, has anyone any further ideas about this ongoing problem?
>
> The following is copy of post made on December 11 2006, as a result of
> which a number of suggestions were made by Tomasz Grzegurz and others on
> the basis that I claimed that web addresses were not being resolved - but
> now I'm not so sure...
>
> > Any Ubuntu experts out there?
> >
> > I thought installing Ubuntu was supposed to be a doddle - but internet
> > access is proving to be a big hassle.
> > After 'blacklisting' ipv6 and disabling it in Firefox, web sites are now
> > accessible, and modifications to Evolution adding numerical addresses
> > for mail servers instead of the literal ones has made the mail system
> > work but web addresses are not being resolved in the Synaptic Package
> > Manager. I can't get additional packages or upgrades...
> > All sites respond to ping though.
> >
> > Anyone else had similar problems?
> >
> > regards
> > Dave Dartnall
>
> It seems that web addresses are being resolved but I'm still stumped.
> This is a summary of my progress to date...
>
> Ubuntu 6.06 LTS:
>
> 	LIVE DISK: Firefox appears to find web addresses, (changes from 'looking
> for xxxx' to 'connecting to xxx' but times out). Can ping the address.
> Using 'about:config' and killing ipv6 networking makes it work.
> Evolution setting up for pop mail server 'Querying server for list of
> supported authentications' times out with minimal modem activity, similar
> response for 'Send/Receive', no access to either pop or smtp servers -
> timed out. Network settings indicated 'interface eth0 is active, ppp0 not
> configured', DNS server 192.168.1.1, (the address of my Netcomm NB% ADSL
> modem router automatically arrived at) - I didn't provide this. Again
> pinging web addresses worked with some packet loss and returned the ip
> address of the site.
>
> 	I did a complete REINSTALLATION: which was slowed down by it's attempts to
> access the software repositories, with exactly the same results as above.
> Sources.list was modified by the installation process with repository
> indexes being commented out as they 'failed to verify' so that as finally
> installed there were none active in sources.list. Removal of the hashes and
> running Synaptic Package Manager produced the familiar 'Failed to fetch ...
> ' response.
>
> 	So I'm exactly back where I started, both the XP and Mandriva systems on
> the same machine work fine and the XP system on my wife's computer (which
> previously had DNS server addresses hard coded, and which I have changed to
> auto) also works fine.
>
> What have I missed?
>
> regards
> Dave Dartnall

I've recently had a strange dns problem with my new netcom adsl router.
Windows client worked fine with it.  Ubuntu didn't.  I changed
my /etc/resolv.conf to point to the isp's nameservers, rather than the
adsl router and all the problems went away.  If I did an nslookup on the
adsl router, it would sometimes return 10.0.0.1 as the address, which
was of course the routers own address.  I haven't investigated any
further to find out why.

HTH,
Tim Bowden