[plug] Ubuntu 6.06 installation/address resolution - update.

Sol Hanna sol.hanna at three.com.au
Wed Jan 10 20:07:50 WST 2007

> I've recently had a strange dns problem with my new netcom adsl router.
> Windows client worked fine with it.  Ubuntu didn't.  I changed
> my /etc/resolv.conf to point to the isp's nameservers, rather than the
> adsl router and all the problems went away.  If I did an nslookup on the
> adsl router, it would sometimes return 10.0.0.1 as the address, which
> was of course the routers own address.  I haven't investigated any
> further to find out why.
I'm having the same problem with Ubuntu 6.10. It's related to using
NetworkManager. In some ways it's great to have this autoconf tool, but it
still needs work IMHO. NetworkManager seems to talk control
of /etc/resolv.conf. Just like you I've changed it manually and had the
problems go away, but upon reboot my edits are gone and it's pointing back to
my adsl modem/router. :(

I'm not quite sure how to stop NetworkManager doing this. It is possible to
uninstall it and go back to using the old, gnome-networking thingy (forgot
it's name - it's in the settings menu). Another way around it is to set up
DNS servers on your modem/router. This is usually pretty straightforward with
most modems.

HTH; sol

--
---