[plug] Ubuntu 6.06 installation/address resolution - update.

Dave Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Jan 11 22:31:11 WST 2007

Timothy White wrote:
> Ok, just for the records, your IP is actually 192.168.1.101, the
> router is 192.168.1.1
And the router is the nameserver?
What then is my IP?  Not the dynamic address supplied by the ISP for the
current session?

> Can you send us /etc/dhcp/dhclient.conf ???
Yes - /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf:

# Configuration file for /sbin/dhclient, which is included in Debian's
#    dhcp3-client package.
#
# This is a sample configuration file for dhclient. See dhclient.conf's
#    man page for more information about the syntax of this file
#    and a more comprehensive list of the parameters understood by
#    dhclient.
#
# Normally, if the DHCP server provides reasonable information and does
#    not leave anything out (like the domain name, for example), then
#    few changes must be made to this file, if any.
#

#send host-name "andare.fugue.com";
#send dhcp-client-identifier 1:0:a0:24:ab:fb:9c;
#send dhcp-lease-time 3600;
#supersede domain-name "fugue.com home.vix.com";
supersede domain-name-servers 203.161.125.7;            # Line added
#prepend domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
#prepend domain-name-servers 203.161.125.7;            # Line added but
later deleted
request subnet-mask, broadcast-address, time-offset, routers,
    domain-name, domain-name-servers, host-name,
    netbios-name-servers, netbios-scope;
#require subnet-mask, domain-name-servers;
#timeout 60;
#retry 60;
#reboot 10;
#select-timeout 5;
#initial-interval 2;
#script "/etc/dhcp3/dhclient-script";
#media "-link0 -link1 -link2", "link0 link1";
#reject 192.33.137.209;

#alias {
#  interface "eth0";
#  fixed-address 192.5.5.213;
#  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.255;
#}

#lease {
#  interface "eth0";
#  fixed-address 192.33.137.200;
#  medium "link0 link1";
#  option host-name "andare.swiftmedia.com";
#  option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
#  option broadcast-address 192.33.137.255;
#  option routers 192.33.137.250;
#  option domain-name-servers 127.0.0.1;
#  renew 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  rebind 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#  expire 2 2000/1/12 00:00:01;
#}
> I think if you add the following, replacing #.#.#.# with your ISP's
> DNS servers, things
> may work better.
> supersede domain-name-servers #.#.#.#;
> prepend domain-name-servers #.#.#.#;
> Give it a try.
I did, Tim and got improved reaction from the leds on the modem - but
not enough to
prevent timing out...
> The only thing sus I can see with the other stuff you sent, is
> /etc/network/interfaces. I assume it's  due to the network manager. I
> assume you don't have wireless or more than one network interface?
> If so, try removing most of the file, leaving only the lo and eth0
> entries (give it a reboot)
No wireless, my wife's machine is, as is mine connected to a switch on
the output side of
the adsl modem.
>>   auto lo
>>   iface lo inet loopback
>>
>>   auto eth0
>>   iface eth0 inet dhcp
I did this with no apparent improvement. Up until a couple of weeks ago,
there were two
ethernet cards in the box, and I took the extraneous one out in case it
was the problem.

> Obviously don't use the network manager after this.
> Also, see if you have resolvconf installed, if so you /may/ want to
> remove it as it can cause issue, but it's normally not a problem.
There is no resolvconf on the system.
> Give that a go
>
> Tim
I did, and many thanks for taking the time to help, but the bloody
thing's still not working...

Up to date then, ipv6 has been disabled in Firefox and that works.
I've added "blacklist ipv6" to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist, disabling ipv6
in the whole system
without any improvement in the performance of both evolution and
synaptic package
manager, dhclient.conf and interfaces have been modified as noted above
and we're still
in the shit!

There are a couple of questions nagging at me:
    While it would be good to at least get ubuntu running properly (and
please don't give up
on me about that), am I right in my assumption that internet access is
being unsuccessfully
attempted during the installation process? And if so, getting the system
up afterwards is not
solving the real problem? In other words, could it relate to a faulty
adsl modem?
No, that can't be right - the other three systems work fine.
Evolution could be made to work by entering the ip addresses ot the pop
and smtp servers
but Synaptic Package manager is the bugbear...

What the hell's going on with it all? Where do we go from here?

Dave Dartnall