[plug] problem with xhost and $DISPLAY

David Buddrige dbuddrige at bigpond.com
Sun Jul 1 20:33:09 WST 2007

Hi all,

I have a main server computer [runing Fedora Core] which is connected to
the internet and provides SQUID proxy access to everyone else on my home
network.

I have a laptop running Kubuntu.

I want to run a gui application that resides on my server from my laptop
so that the gui application displays on my laptop's X display.

I run the following command on my laptop:

xhost +my-server-ip

I then ssh into my server and run the command:

export DISPLAY=my-laptop-ip:0.0

I then run evolution on my server machine, but it brings up a message
saying:

Gtk-WARNING ** : cannot open display:

Anyone know why this might be happening?  I am wondering if there is
some security program running on my laptop [that I am unaware of] that
would be stopping network requests like this.  It's a fairly
bog-standard KUbuntu install.  Does anyone know of some software default
installed that would prevent me doing this?

thanks heaps guys,

David. 8-)