[plug] problem with xhost and $DISPLAY

Nigel Duff nigel at dubh.id.au
Sun Jul 1 20:54:51 WST 2007

Hi David,

On Sun, Jul 01, 2007 at 08:33:09PM +0800, David Buddrige wrote:

<snip details for using xhost and setting the DISPLAY variable>

This doesn't answer your question directly but this is the way I
usually do X11 forwarding.

Set "X11Forwarding yes" in /etc/ssh/sshd_config (or comparable
file on your distro) on the server.

Then from the machine I want the program to display on (your
laptop) use ssh with X11 forwarding. ie;

ssh -X user at my-server-ip

After you are asked for your password just run the program you
want. I just did it on my home network and when I ran evolution
it popped up the setup sequence for evolution.

Hope that helps,

Nigel