[plug] Gentoo on APC cover disc

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Fri Jul 6 14:33:50 WST 2007

On Fri, 2007-07-06 at 14:20 +0800, hatari at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hello, Tomasz....
>
> Part of the installation asks what type of file system is desired.  I specified ext3.  The
> installation continued.  On a subsequent boot I noticed (in the scrolling text) that the file
> system being mounted (ie installed) was ext2.  It just ain't what was requested.  That's all.

I'm not defending any distro here, but perhaps explaining a point:

I don't know how or why (I'm too bloody ignorant, by half) but you may
be deceived by those boot messages signalling something else entirely.
That is, in all my recent installs of Fedora and opensuse the boot
messages always flash up something about mounting ext2 files system at
some point in the process though I always install with ext3. Don't foget
that ext3 evolved from ext2.

The easy way to check is if you had opened a terminal and typed the old
"mount" and seen that you probably did, in fact, have an ext3 system :-/
EG:

gavin at linuxlap:~> mount
/dev/hda2 on / type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr)
proc on /proc type proc (rw)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
debugfs on /sys/kernel/debug type debugfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,mode=0620,gid=5)
/dev/hda3 on /home type ext3 (rw,noatime,acl,user_xattr)
securityfs on /sys/kernel/security type securityfs (rw)

Maybe you shot the messenger by not persisting with that distro ;-)

Gavin