[plug] Gentoo on APC cover disc

Andrew Furey andrew.furey at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:15:05 WST 2007

On 06/07/07, shayne - sYra <shayne at syra.com.au> wrote:
> You can open ext3 on a kernel with only ext2, and vice versa. The
> diference is a tiny file. Of course that tiny file makes all the
> difference for filesystem stability.

I'm not quite sure about that actually - I haven't done thorough tests
but in my experience, while you can mount an ext3 filesystem as ext2,
the kernel (and/or the e2fsprogs or whatever) still needs to know
about ext3, or it comes up with "unsupported filesystem features on
/dev/blah" or somesuch. Anyone care to test?

Andrew

--
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.