[plug] Bandwidth reports on firewall

Mark Slatem slatemfam at optusnet.com.au
Mon Jul 23 14:21:29 WST 2007

Hey all,

We have quite a few security appliances running at client sites, mainly
using the open source Endian firewall, I want to be able to pull reports
for a specific ip address on the network and see bandwidth usage in and
out the firewall, as well as times of the day content was downloaded
etc. I have a found a script called "squint" whick works quite nicely,
but unfortunately this only works by examining the squid proxy logs, and
does not report on other type of traffic like smtp, peer to peer. Endian
also has NTOP on it which has detailed information, but as soon as the
adsl connection get droped and a new ip assigned, then the ntop stats
are reset, AFAIK this is how NTOP works and there is no way to get it to
keep the stats.

Anyone know of a good solution,  that preferably is lightweight and has
a web frontend  that can be used to generate reports?