[plug] Forum Software

Adrian Woodley Adrian at Diskworld.com.au
Tue Jul 24 15:48:16 WST 2007

Forums have some distinct advantages as well though:

* You don't have to download/read each thread - just the ones you're
interested in.

* Most forums promote the active threads to the top of the page.

* Content and archives are easier to maintain in a forum. Its very hard
to delete inappropriate posts from a mailing list, once they've been
delivered to the readers. This exacerbates flames and makes it harder to
filter noise.

* The questions and the answers are kept in the same place. With a
mailing list, the questions are asked from your mail client of choice,
the previous answers are in a web archive.

* Forum posts are supplied with their context. If you clean out your
plug mail box, and someone replies to a post from 6 months ago, there's
limited context included with it. A reply to a forum attaches all the
previous context.

There's probably others, but I really should do some more work.

Adrian