[plug] Forum Software

shayne - sYra shayne at syra.com.au
Wed Jul 25 10:13:25 WST 2007

Adrian Woodley wrote:
> Following last night's discussion at the workshop, I've done a quick
> investigation into forum software. Using the criteria of "what looks
> hot", this is a rough list of what I feel could be contenders:
>
> phpBB - http://www.phpbb.com/
> punBB - http://punbb.org/
> mwForum - http://www.mwforum.org/

May I suggest, (And I'm aware that this discussion arised from your
workshop , which I was not at) ;- http://www.simplemachines.org/

 From my experience its got a really good head on it about some basic
things phpBB doesnt, particularly security, and templating (Amongst
others). phpBB is nice, and most everyone seems to know how to drive it,
and it certainly seems less of a train wreck than Invision or vB, but it
still seems to develop security holes more often than it should and its
an absolute horror to upgrade if you have custom hacks in there.

Give simple machine forums a go, I've had nothing but positive
experiences with it.