[plug] Forum Software

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Wed Jul 25 13:59:51 WST 2007

On 25 Jul 2007 at 3:14, Mark J Gaynor wrote:

> I would support the idea of a gateway as well, we need to cater to both
> camps.
>
> Most forums only that I have seen fail in their mission over time if they
> are not managed well.

I agree with mark.

Forums are fine if they they managed/administrated correctly.

>From my experience with PLUG over the last 6-7 years :

97% of the work load is carried by 3% of the members, and it always seems
to be the same members.

These people have lives to live as well, no wonder people lose interest and
fade away.

I think the people who do a lot of work for PLUG are already doing too much
as it is  - do we really need to increase the workload of the willing
minority ?

This is not a typical ailment of PLUG alone, it happens in many clubs,
groups, associations and organisations. This is often why many similar
interest groups die off or tend to go underground and become very
exclusive.

There is one major difference with Linux user groups, this relates to the
difference in the level of "skills" between the people at the "top" and the
people at the "bottom" of the skills range.

This difference can be very  divisive, when it comes to group politics.

Most newbies start of with curiosity, some get bitten by the Penguin and
prosper and grow to become very capable  as Linux users, but not every one
has the ability or desire to become a hacker or a guru of some sort.

My 15 cents worth.

Regards Arie