[plug] Forum Software

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 25 17:04:11 WST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 16:21 +0800, James Drysdale wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've only been a member here for a short while, just over a month, but I
> agree with this.
> For the sake of convieniently & neatly arranged topics of discussion,
> there would be a lot less interaction.
> This group does seem "small" enough to continue with email based
> contact, and is more efficient as a base for discussion.

The point of the forum is not to replace the list, but to provide a more
newbie friendly venue for those seeking answers.  Things like flamage
can be better managed on a forum.  With the mail list, once it's there,
it's there.  In forums it can be deleted.  Threads can be moderated if
they get too heated.  Those who are inclined to help newbies can check
the forums from time to time, while those who have no tolerance for
"stupid questions" and are more likely to respond with rtfm or other
suitably colourful flame[1] can avoid dealing with such questions.  At
least, that's the idea.  It may just work if those so disposed to
helping out with "stupid questions" make a point of checking out the
forums on a regular basis.  Remember, this is geared to serving the
needs of those who are not yet part of our big happy family, and /not/
those of us who already feel at home here.  If we don't care about
helping those who are "still on the starting blocks", then it's a waste
of time.

> It's not unusual for email clients to quietly run in the background, but
> keeping a forum window open, or browsing it more than twice a day on the
> off-chance that a topic of mutual benefit presents itself is not
> something I would necessarily do.

I can't stand forums myself, but I'm prepared to stick my head in from
time to time to see what help I can give.  If it breaths new life into
plug, then it's worth it.  At the moment we (plug) are a shadow of what
we were a few years ago.

> I haven't been here for very long, so I reckon this would be my $0.04
> worth :-P
>
> Cheers,
> James.

Oh dear, inflation is biting isn't it!

Regards,
Tim Bowden
[1]  If the forums work and become the haunt of gentle newbie souls, can
we loosen up the rules a bit and allow some mature (for suitable values
of mature) flamage in the name of fun?