[plug] Forum Software

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 17:04:31 WST 2007

Just to add to what people are saying..

On 7/25/07, Ben Jensz <plug at jensz.id.au> wrote:
> <IMHO>
>
> The PLUG list has changed substantially from when I first joined the
> list.  It did used to be fairly active, but it also used to have a lot
> more people who knew a lot about Linux contributing than seems to be the
> case recently.

Seems to me there's quite a few guns around.. I've picked up some
fantastic stuff from the list.

> The problem is that by "dumbing" down the content on the list, you then
> lose the interest of the people who have a large amount of knowledge.
> Those people are a very valuable resource and losing them IMHO is a very
> bad thing.  Sure, this could be seen as being an "exclusive" or
> "elitist" group trying to maintain the list as it was, but the list as I
> saw it when I first subscribed was a very technical list about Linux and
> is the reason why I joined the list in the first place.

The difference "before" is that, without causing offense, but you had
to be a guru to use Linux, whereas we're seeing a shift in that Linux
has become accessible to the less technical person, and so we're
seeing such people on that list. To me, this is an excellent shift and
indicates that Linux has grown up to a large extent.

> The biggest problem as I see it, is that there has been a shift in the
> way people use (and exploit) resources on the internet as a whole (this
> mailing list included).  There has developed a culture of people simply
> visiting a resource, asking a question and never contributing anything
> back again, basically a taking and no giving mentality.  In my mind,
> this goes against the "culture" and "ideals" that a lot of people seem
> to associate with Linux and open source software and the associated
> community.

Maybe, but I think people simply "using" your product are better than
people who not only do not use your product but go to a competitor..

> As I see it, two questions need to be asked going forward for this
> mailing list:
>
> Does PLUG want to encourage this behaviour AND additionally provide
> increased access to the users who will add to and perpetuate this behaviour?
>
> Does the PLUG mailing list exist as a mailing list for Linux related
> discussion, or does it exist as a mailing list for Linux users to
> discuss topics of interest (that may or may not be specifically Linux
> related)?

The two go together, but that's what the off topic list is for. This
is a social club of sorts, every group is, I think some people need to
just use better judgment about what IS and IS NOT on topic, with the
topic being Linux. However, this is subjective, and there will always
be some stuff filtering through that some may/may not deem to be on
topic.

> As I see it, the latter part of the second question is what has been
> occurring far too often recently and is what the mailing list has turned
> into.  I think that an official response and action needs to be taken by
> those in control of the mailing list in relation to this behaviour if it
> is to be stopped.  By no "official" response or action being taken in
> regards to this, this itself indicates to those who are posting this
> material that they have free reign to continue doing so.
>
> </IMHO>
>
> My two cents worth.
>

> / Ben

I think the reason why most people joined this list needs to be asked
before sending stuff -- I'll bet you joined to ask or read something
about a particular operating system, then it's probably on topic. If
it's moved beyond that, it's probably off topic. If you're unsure,
move it off topic, someone can cross post the messages if they relate
anyway..

Tomasz