[plug] Forum Software

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Wed Jul 25 17:30:35 WST 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 16:48 +0800, Ben Jensz wrote:
> <IMHO>
>
> The PLUG list has changed substantially from when I first joined the
> list.  It did used to be fairly active, but it also used to have a lot
> more people who knew a lot about Linux contributing than seems to be the
> case recently.

+1

> The problem is that by "dumbing" down the content on the list, you then
> lose the interest of the people who have a large amount of knowledge.
> Those people are a very valuable resource and losing them IMHO is a very
> bad thing.  Sure, this could be seen as being an "exclusive" or
> "elitist" group trying to maintain the list as it was, but the list as I
> saw it when I first subscribed was a very technical list about Linux and
> is the reason why I joined the list in the first place.

I can't help but think this dumbing down may be a consequence of Linux
becoming more accessible to less technically skilled people.  It's a
natural consequence of moving towards world domination. [1]

> The biggest problem as I see it, is that there has been a shift in the
> way people use (and exploit) resources on the internet as a whole (this
> mailing list included).  There has developed a culture of people simply
> visiting a resource, asking a question and never contributing anything
> back again, basically a taking and no giving mentality.  In my mind,
> this goes against the "culture" and "ideals" that a lot of people seem
> to associate with Linux and open source software and the associated
> community.

Agreed.  The list culture has changed.  Maybe if the forums work, it
will attract those who want to surf resources as need be and not
necessarily become part of the plug community.  Not everyone considers
their computer a point of interest to spend time on, and that's ok.  But
if we want to help average Joe use linux anyway, we have to accept that
they just don't have much interest in joining in and contributing.

> As I see it, two questions need to be asked going forward for this
> mailing list:

What are the needs of newbies, and how can we answer that

What sort of culture do we want on our list

> Does PLUG want to encourage this behaviour AND additionally provide
> increased access to the users who will add to and perpetuate this behaviour?

Forums become the resource of those wanting to ask newbie questions in a
friendly and inviting atmosphere.  OT list is for trivia, and those who
want informal community engagement can go there.  Others (like myself)
can avoid the non linux parts of our community interaction.  Main list
becomes the community home where we concentrate on serious technical
discussion amongst those who self identify with the linux community or
anyone who wants to lurk to gain knowledge.

> Does the PLUG mailing list exist as a mailing list for Linux related
> discussion, or does it exist as a mailing list for Linux users to
> discuss topics of interest (that may or may not be specifically Linux
> related)?

As above.

> As I see it, the latter part of the second question is what has been
> occurring far too often recently and is what the mailing list has turned
> into.  I think that an official response and action needs to be taken by
> those in control of the mailing list in relation to this behaviour if it
> is to be stopped.  By no "official" response or action being taken in
> regards to this, this itself indicates to those who are posting this
> material that they have free reign to continue doing so.

+1

> </IMHO>
>
> My two cents worth.

Good to see inflation back under control.

Regards,
Tim