[plug] system burn-in software for Linux - recommendations?

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 26 10:01:47 WST 2007

Hello PLUG list members.

I would like to have recommendations as regards burn-in software to cover
memory, CPU, hard disks (incl RAID), nVidia-based video card and an ASUS
P5K-iP35 mobo.   The context is a workstation that when built and
configured will be shipped to a researcher in *Brazil.*   So there is
little possibility of the odd "house call" or two down the track :-)

The components have been specified for this task with long warranties on
items such as hard disk, great gobs of cooling bearing in mind its
destination, and so on.   So it should theoretically be stable and reliable
from Day 1 but before calling the shipping company, a week or so of stress
testing might not be a bad idea?

Memory - memtest86 still seems to have good reports that I can see.   What
about CPU, mobo and especially hard disk test suites?    The RAID5 will
have 0.6TB available and is composed of SATA drives.   The system drive is
PATA.   CPU is not overclocked.

Comments on what you found has worked / not worked will be appreciated.

TIA
Denis