[plug] Thunderbird email anomaly

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Thu Jul 26 17:44:43 WST 2007

Hendrik Strydom wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-07-25 at 13:05 +0800, David Dartnall wrote:
>
>> I'm running Ubuntu Feisty with all updates to date:
>>
>> Email is handled by Thunderbird.
>>
>> My daughter, living in Pretoria, sent me an email with a url relating to
>> an article referring in part to her husband. Clicking on this:
>> http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063&area=/insight/insight__africa/
>> returned a completely different site:
>> https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/auth/owalogon.asp?url=https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/bin/redir.asp%3FURL=http://www.mg.co.za/articlePage.aspx?articleid=314063%2526area=/insight/insight__africa/&reason=0
>> which turns out to be very dodgy!
>>
>> Transferring the original url to Firefox or Opera both worked fine.
>>
>> What has gone wrong here?
>>

> The second link (https://bagend.mrc.ac.za/exchweb/ ) is the redicrection
> via a MS Exchange web front end, most likely the one your daughter uses
> to send her e-mail.  I suspect it is just a case of Microsoft
> 'standards' strike again.
>
> Regards
>   Hennie

*I've checked with my daughter who advises that:*

" the other urls are a mixture of the mrc internal website and the above url so it has somehow got mixed up - not sure why? probably something to do with redirecting out of the mrc site to the mg site-"

MRC is the Medical Research Council of South Africa where she works. So it's indeed probable that the glitch is at her end. Certainly MS Exchange would be the process there...

So while the cause is not specifically resolved, I guess there's no point in wasting further time on it.
Thank you, Tim, Bret and Hendrik for your contribution.

regards
Dave Dartnall