[plug] Forum Software

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jul 26 16:25:29 WST 2007

On 26 Jul 2007 at 6:41, Mark J Gaynor wrote:

> On 26/07/2007 at 1:47 AM Arie Hol wrote:
>
> >Often referred to as "Passing the Buck".
> >
> >Most successful organisations adopt the outlook of "The Buck Stops
Here".

8<------------------ big snip ------------->8

> It is is easy to say this is what we need, what I don't hear is a
> commitment to make such a project happen in the long term. Once again it
> falls back on the few, that are overwhelmed now, tasked with implementing
> your suggestions on how to fix that which is perceived broken.
>
> The situation is this, without more willing participation by those that
> have a perceived solution, nothing will change.

8< ------------------ snip ----------------->8

As for my commitment, there were two occassions in the past where I
attempted to make a contribution by actually doing something that was
within my capabilities.

The first attempt by me was "flamed out of existence".

The second attempt was when I compiled a CD of tutorials from the IBM
website - I sent a copy to PLUG at least two years ago - and to this day I
still do not know if PLUG has received it. For all I know it's probably
still sitting in the P.O. Box in South Perth.

The CD was no great revelation, but it was a sincere effort to provide
something that could be passed on to newcomers with a minimum effort and
cost.

I have given away about thirty copies of the CD to people who were
interested in Linux and all but two or three are still using Linux today,
so much so that some of them now help me with my problems.

I asked PLUG for feed back on the CD and still do not know if it was :

1 - A good  idea or not.
2 - A piece of crap that should be buried.
3 - A reasonable effort - that still needed a lot more polish.

or Whatever ????????

I know it wasn't a topline professional production, but it was a start in
the right direction - or so I thought.

And yet I am not resentful, but I am disappointed and somewhat
disillusioned.

Regards Arie