[plug] Presentation suggestion...

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:35:46 WST 2007

On 7/26/07, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 19:26 +0800, Patrick Coleman wrote:
<snip>
> > > I also would like to see a presentation on how to compile the kernel,
>
> Oh ya, that would be brief!
> Grab tarball, untar, cd to top level directory, type make.

I could see a 15-30 minute talk and demo on kernel configuration and
building, including the important options to choose etc working. The
impression I've occasionally got from people is that it's perceived as
a bit of a black art, so something that helps clear that up can't
hurt. Was that the sort of thing you were thinking of, Fred?

I'm fine to present this, unless someone else has a burning desire.

> > > basically to be able to work on the kernel, make some changes and
> > > submit a patch if successful and interesting...
>
> And that's totally different subject.

Yep.

> People tend to be knowledgeable about specific areas, the kernel is
> complex, don't think that after a 1 hour talk you'll be able to
> identify, debug and produce a patch! Much of the time it's hard enough
> to just skim through the kernel mailing list without actually doing any
> work.

Fair enough.

> What would be really good is if someone could give a series of talks
> about oops, BUG and panic message decoding, including working out where
> in the kernel source the problem occurred etc.

Sounds interesting. I'll add it to the list of topic ideas that are
looking for a home.

-Patrick

--
http://www.labyrinthdata.net.au - WA Backup, Web and VPS Hosting