[plug] mounting mobile phone filesystem

Gavin Chester sales at ecosolutions.com.au
Sun Jun 3 12:56:00 WST 2007

I have a lot of holes in my linux knowledge, so I am stumped by trying
to mount my new 3G mobile via usb cable, even though it is recognised by
my laptop OS, as per this output from dmesg:

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 4
usb 1-1: new device found, idVendor=05c6, idProduct=6000
usb 1-1: new device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
usb 1-1: Product: ZTE Incorporated
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: ZTE Incorporated

I've tried mounting as with other usb devices such as:
"mount -t auto /dev/sda (or /sdb, sda1, sdb1, etc etc) /media/usb"
but I keep getting "special device /dev/sda (etc) does not exist". Now,
what little I know tells me that I am on track but have not got
the /dev/ name correct. Anyone got any clues to offer as to how I can
tackle this?

Gavin