[plug] PC Card w/ Atheros chipset

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Wed Jun 20 17:10:15 WST 2007

Hi all,

I have a few questions to ask concerning the Netgear WG511T card I
bought off eBay - I'm using it in an IBM X30 lappy, and it works fine
for a while, and then the reported signal gets weaker and weaker, with
the transfer rate eventually dropping to 1Mb/s. Reported signal strength
and quality also drop.

The other lappy I have here which has an Intel "Centrino" card is happy
to remain at 54Mb/s.

This is, of course, under Linux (OpenSUSE 10.2). The question I'm asking
is whether anyone can think of a reason for the degradation (the AP is
within 2 metres of the lappy).

I suspect that the card may be suffering from hardware rot, with a a
connection acting up as the card gets warmer (and it gets quite toasty
after about 3 hours).

Also does anyone have another card of another make (also preferably
Atheros chipset) that I could borrow for a day or so to check whether it
is a hardware problem?

Any ideas gratefully received.
Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom.
It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves.
William Pitt, 1783

Linux Counter user #306629