[plug] tunneling windows remote desktop via my webserver on port 80

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 21 20:33:07 WST 2007

I used to work at a place that did that - but they protected port 80
with a proxy (forget what they did to 443).  If that is the case, run
httptunnel and feed an encrypted one (sshd or better yet, zebedee)
through that.  Works a treat.  Keep in mind that httptunnel has (had? -
its been awhile) some rather crude names for the GET/PUT variables in
the data stream, so some astute renaming before compiling it will help
anonymise what you are doing a bit more.

If you really desparate check out mailtunnel :)

You may also be able to use iptables to move packets coming in on port
80 from your work address to another port ala transparent proxy for one
IP number so port 80 packets from elsewhere hit your webserver.

BillK

On Tue, 2007-06-19 at 20:27 +0800, Jason wrote:
> Ok, so my work blocks all ports except 80 and 443.
>
> I run sshd on 443 so I can ssh home and a webserver on port 80.
>
> I also virtual host two domains from my machine, so I can't just change
> my router to forward port 80 to my windows machine for remote
> desktopping.
>
> What I want to do is:
>
> Request from work goes on port 80 to my home router, which forwards
> request to webserver, which picks up that I'm requesting to remote desktop
> (possibly via the domain name, similar to virtual hosting) to my windows
> machine, which then tunnels the request and successful remote desktop
> response back through my webserver, to the router to my work machine.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Hope it all makes sense :)
>
> Jason.
Home!