[plug] Re: fresh kubuntu install - what's the root password?

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Thu Jun 21 14:40:09 WST 2007

David Buddrige wrote:
> Never mind guys - I found the answer on the web at
> http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php - it doesn't have a password for root
> other than the main user password - I was able to change it by running
> the command
>
> sudo passwd root
>
> and typing my own user password as the root password, and then changed
> the root password to whatever I wanted.
> thanks
> David.

Without entering into the (>=2)-sided discussion to which I am
completely unqualified to contribute, that's the intention of
(K)Ubuntu[1]. You never set or use the root password, and any
administrative work is done using sudo and your own password. This also
extends to GUI administrative work (such as using Synaptic). If you
desperately need a console as root, "sudo su -" or "sudo -i" does the job.

Of course, you may disagree with that style - I'm sure many do. As I
said, I'm not going to enter into the discussion. Apart from that, I'm
pretty sure I recall that dicussion occurring here pretty recently (:

Greg.

[1] ie straight from that page: http://www.kubuntu.org/faq.php#root
and https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo