[plug] Broken Debian upgrade

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Tue Jun 19 12:34:50 WST 2007

Hello, everyone.

I have tried to upgrade my laptop, from Debian sarge to Debian etch, and
it has wrecked the system.

It has removed gnome, and I am unable to re-install gnome.

It keeps coming up with (Unable to load Gnome - is libgnome2-perl
installed?). I have tried to use "aptitude install libgnome2-perl, but
that doesn't work.

Also, when I run the aptitude command (with no switches), it tells me
that the number of broken patches is two, but there appears to be no
option in aptitude (from the "dialogue" displayed), to list or fix the
broken packages. How do I list the broken packages, and fix them?

Whilst someone else on the list, apparently upgraded from sarge to etch
without any significant problems, for me it is turning into something
that appears to have been written by Kafka, and it appears to be
something that should be only done by a Linux guru.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

  you'll know what the answer means."