[plug] Changing User agent in Firefox

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jun 21 19:50:44 WST 2007

Arie Hol wrote:
> Can anybody tell me if it is possible and if so, how to change the
> default user agent string in the Firefox browser.

I recently documented this in
http://dilettante.wordpress.com/2007/06/20/etch-from-scratch-how-to-change-iceweasel-reported-browser/
If about:config is now working for you, consider the User Agent Switcher
addon.

> I need to access some web sites that are heavily biased towards Internet
> Explorer, and would prefer to be able to make IE the default (but only
> while I need to access these sites)

Please do send a message to the website maintainer for them to consider
authoring their web sites to use web standards rather than a particular
web browser.

> I know how to change the User Agent string for the current session, but
> it reverts to the current default every time I restart Firefox.

Are you using about:config ? My understanding is that when you exit from
Firefox that the configuration is saved to your preferences file
(prefs.js or user.js). This is my experience, but then I was changing
Iceweasel to Firefox :)

Regards
Jacqueline
http://dilettante.wordpress.com/