[plug] Changing User agent in Firefox

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 22 00:41:11 WST 2007

On 21 Jun 2007 at 19:50, Jacqueline McNally wrote:

> Arie Hol wrote:
> > Can anybody tell me if it is possible and if so, how to change the
> > default user agent string in the Firefox browser.

Thanks to all for your advice....................

Jacqueline McNally's suggestion made me look at what I was doing wrong...

I normally use the "User Agent Switcher" extension for Firefox. I also
use multiple instances of Firefox in different windows, this way I can
follow different browsing 'trails' for each window - each time I was
changing to IE in order to access the IE oriented web sites - all was
good. Until the next time I started Firefox.

This caused me to raise my original query.

Because of the way I use my browser windows and the sequence in which I
tend to do things..... the browser was always reverting to Mozilla as the
default User agent - because it was the selected "User agent" in the last
window I was using - so I assume that when I closed the last browser
window the browser must have switched back to "Mozilla".

If that makes sense.

A simple change in the sequence I used at the start  and end of the
session, seems to have fixed the problem.

If the last window I closed was using IE, then when I start a new session
the first window I open has IE as the default. Likewise for Opera,
Mozilla and Netscape.

I just need to take more care with the sequence I use to close the
windows, when and if I change the "User Agent" strings.

Regards Arie