[plug] Linux Apps on Mac(sort of on topic)

Michael Holland myk at myk.id.au
Fri Jun 22 08:50:30 WST 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Caleb Duggan wrote:

> Darwin/X will do. I found that any gui apps I installed through fink(like
> apt-get for mac) caused Darwin/X to crash, usually within seconds of

The whole OS crashes? Or the X server? Something seriously wrong with OS-X
either way, not just your port. (But it would be normal for OS-9 :-)
I'd try on another intel Mac to see if your hardware or OS is corrupted.

>  It's a Macbook if that has an impact on
> anything. I'm not always in a position where I can just ssh out to run
> programs I wish to use so, id rather they run locally

Well, a Macbook is powerful enough to run a virtual machine. And the
important point is that unlike with windows, you don't need to worry
about any GUI within the virtual machine. Its effectively headless, and
you use the native X server on OS-X, on the main desktop. Faster and
neater.

Whats the best VM for a Linux server on OS-X?  (ie no graphics accel
needed) Qemu?

Dang - I just remembered you were asking about Amarok, and a VM is not a
good solution for audio apps. Nor ssh. Sorry.