[plug] Linux Apps on Mac(sort of on topic)

Caleb Duggan caleb.duggan at gmail.com
Sat Jun 23 06:58:33 WST 2007

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 08:50:30 +0800, Michael Holland <myk at myk.id.au> wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Jun 2007, Caleb Duggan wrote:
>
>> Darwin/X will do. I found that any gui apps I installed through
>> fink(like
>> apt-get for mac) caused Darwin/X to crash, usually within seconds of
>
> The whole OS crashes? Or the X server? Something seriously wrong with
> OS-X
> either way, not just your port. (But it would be normal for OS-9 :-)
> I'd try on another intel Mac to see if your hardware or OS is corrupted.
Just the X server crashes. I don't have any other mac hardware to test it
on. My first mac:P

>>  It's a Macbook if that has an impact on
>> anything. I'm not always in a position where I can just ssh out to run
>> programs I wish to use so, id rather they run locally
>
> Well, a Macbook is powerful enough to run a virtual machine. And the
> important point is that unlike with windows, you don't need to worry
> about any GUI within the virtual machine. Its effectively headless, and
> you use the native X server on OS-X, on the main desktop. Faster and
> neater.
I'd rather not use a virtual machine because I can't get the windows
inside of it managed by the host OS's window manager. Also as you
mentioned below, VM's arent great for audio apps, i've found the sound
cuts in and out using VM's.

> Whats the best VM for a Linux server on OS-X?  (ie no graphics accel
> needed) Qemu?
>
> Dang - I just remembered you were asking about Amarok, and a VM is not a
> good solution for audio apps. Nor ssh. Sorry.

RJDart, I will try macports next time I connect up to a broadband internet
connection thats working right(anyone else using bigpond cable and
experiencing near-dial-up speeds lately?), perhaps it is just a fink
specific problem?