[plug] broadband monitoring?

Rob Dunne rob.dunne at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 13:09:58 WST 2007

Hi Gavin,

Gavin Chester wrote:
> What about
> gkrellm? it would be the best option for your chosen WM, I reckon. It
> gives bytes in/out reports for daily, weekly monthly for any interface
> ppp0, eth0, etc.

so far gkrellm gives a stack of tiny widgets monitoring a lot of
different things. It looks quite complicated to get it to get it to do
something like bytes in/out reports on a daily basis. Do you know if it
can give a report that lists both the address and the bytes? If it is
just the total traffic then the iiNet volume usage tool can give me that.

jnettop is up and running -- but no reporting yet.

> But 400+Mb when not doing anything? Are you running a cron to update
> your package cache every day or every week?
I wasnt aware of anything. There is a file
/etc/cron.daily/apt

but I dont think it updates a package cache

Anyway -- this doesn't happen daily. I have only had one strange
period of net activity.

 > Only thing I can think of
> otherwise you're being diddled by your provider or you're sitting on a
> zombie machine.

how would I detect this?

Bye
Rob