[plug] DVD burn question

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu Jun 28 21:54:22 WST 2007

On 27 Jun 2007 at 16:42, David Dartnall wrote:

> I have copied a DVD .iso file to hard disk and attempted to burn two
> copies. The first was fine and the second seemed fine when it was being
> burnt but when inserted to play, Feisty reported that it was an empty
disk
> and asked if I wanted a file burnt to it or to 'ignore'. Investigation
> with Nautilus shows s folder named VIDEO_TS holding a series of files
> called VIDEO_TS.BUP;1 VIDEO_TS.IFO;1 VTS_01_0.BUP;1 VTS_01_0.IFO;1
> VTS_01_1, 2 or 3.VOB;1 VTS_02 ....etc. The one that worked had a
similar

I have found that different burners seem to have a preference for
different brands and types of disks

When I had a Sony burner - I had better success with Imation media.

Now I use a Pioneer burner and have best results with TDK Gold media.

I only real difference I have noticed with DVD-R and DVD+R is that DVD+R
has better capacity and capabilities for error correction - that is until
the error volume/count gets too high.

DVD-R tends to be better with older DVD readers and players.

Burning at slower speeds will help to reduce the error count and allow
the drive to handle error correction before it is overwhelmed.

I have a 16x DVD burner - I never burn any faster than 8x - when I have
critical data to write I often burn at 4x.

Disks burnt at slower speeds - will have a longer shelf life and be more
readable and reliable in the future.

If you plan to store any data for more than 3-4 years - I suggest that
you consider re-burning the disks (ie copy) at a slow speed at least
every 3 years.

Even the highest quality disks from the most reputable manufacturers have
been known to be unreadable after as little as four years, some lesser
brands have lasted even less.

I have some disks here that were burned at 16x and were unreadable after
6 months (Princo).

Writable media are vulnerable to :
ultraviolet light
sunlight and fluorescent lighting especially
mould
heat
moisture

Always store burnt disks in a cool, dry, dark place.

Always store un-used disks in a cool, dry, dark place.

Too many people leave their spindle of 100 disks sitting on their desk in
front of a window - sunlight comes in and the damage begins.

Fluorescent light tubes - are deadly for any type of optical media, even
those new low power bulbs that you can use in place of normal
incandescent bulbs.

HTH

Regards Arie