[plug] DVD burn question

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Fri Jun 29 19:59:26 WST 2007

On 29 Jun 2007 at 10:35, David Dartnall wrote:

8< ------------------ snip ------------------->8

> I then tried Nero Express under XP which returned the error message:
>     Power calibration error
>     Burn process failed at 4x (5540KB/s)
>
> Maybe a faulty DVD drive? Although it burned a test cd this morning...
NO
> IT DIDN'T, I've just tried to read it Nautilus indicates a blank disk.
> Anyone want a some printable coasters?

This sounds like it could a problem with the DMA settings for the DVD
burner - I can't remember what they should or could be - so you need to
check the required DMA settings for the drive (if any) and then check the
settings on your machine.

This problem occurred quite often in the days when people changed from
the older CDROM to DVD-ROM drives - most CDROM drives  needed to have DMA
enabled - but when the drive was changed to a DVD drive most people
didn't know they had to disable the DMA setting for certain makes and
models of drives.

I don't know how to do this on Linux - only on Windows - Win98SE and
earlier (and  Win2K) had manual settings ---- WinXP has auto settings.

HTH

Regards Arie