[plug] Webcam Recommendations

David Dartnall darts at dialix.com.au
Mon Mar 19 21:31:16 WST 2007

sothisistheinternet wrote:
> Hi Lance,
>
> I'm not sure but I'm also interested in this. I'm looking into buying
> a webcam (looking at the Logitech QuickCam Fusion) so my mother can
> view her new granddaughter from the other side of the world. I'd like
> to also be able to use this camera under linux, but I haven't done
> thorough checking yet.
>
> cheers,
>
> Ari
>
> On 3/19/07, *Lance Duivenbode* <plug at duivenbode.id.au
> <mailto:plug at duivenbode.id.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hi all,
>
>     I've been asked by my father to set up a webcam for use with the
>     MSN protocol.
>     At the moment, I've got him running Kubuntu Dapper and neither he
>     nor I are
>     keen to shift him back to Windows just for MSN. Whilst he's just a
>     basic
>     user, he's had zero troubles with running Linux compared to when
>     he ran
>     Windows - at least 1 support (i.e. me) call a week!
>
>     So, I've used Kopete with MSN before with no problems, and I'm
>     pretty sure I
>     can use webcams with it - does anyone have suggestions as to
>     webcam that I
>     can use 'out of the box'?
>
>     Thanks,
>     Lance

If you find a driver for the QuickCam Fusion webcam please let me know.
I have access to one but all my research indicates that there's no Linux
driver for it. Sounds like a pretty nice unit too.
Are there any recommendations for a similar camera with inbuilt
microphone etc that can be used with Linux? (Edgy)

good luck
Dave Dartnall