[plug] Debian broken

Denis Brown dsbrown at cyllene.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 1 12:02:18 WST 2007

At 11:47 AM 1/05/2007, Bret Busby wrote:
>On Tue, 1 May 2007, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:

<snip>

> From the response above, from Tomasz, to upgrade to etch, do I just need
> to use the two commands
>apt-get update
>apt-get dist upgrade
>and use the above sources file?
>
>Or, is there something else I neeed to do?

For what it's worth, I took a Debian sarge and upgraded to etch
recently.    I found the documentation on the Debian site excellent
especially as in my case, I was going from an earlier 2.4 series kernel to
the 2.6 series.

Nonetheless it was reasonably plain sailing and I did it remotely (ssh into
the box) so did not have to visit the physical site :-)   The instructions
encouraged me to use aptitude rather than apt-get and I must say it is
friendlier - more informative messages for example.

I think that if you have a more up-to-date sarge than mine, one using an
already-compatible kernel for example, you should find Tomasz's
instructions will work nicely.   But caveat emptor in respect of what seems
to be your semi-sarge, semi-etch.    I would definitely back up mission
critical files before setting sail.

HTH
Denis