[plug] Debian broken

Tim Bowden tim.bowden at westnet.com.au
Tue May 1 12:13:31 WST 2007

On Tue, 2007-05-01 at 11:47 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

> The sources file follows.
>
> " cat /etc/apt/sources.list
> deb http://ftp.uwa.edu.au/mirrors/linux/debian/ stable main contrib
> non-free
> deb http://ftp.wa.au.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
> "
>
> >From the response above, from Tomasz, to upgrade to etch, do I just need
> to use the two commands
> apt-get update
> apt-get dist upgrade
> and use the above sources file?
>
> Or, is there something else I neeed to do?

Brett,

If this has been your sources file all along, then you moved to etch the
day it came out.  If you wanted to stay with sarge, then each occurrence
of stable should have been replaced with sarge in the sources.list file.
Personally, I think it is a failing with debian, to assume you will want
to upgrade to the next release be default.  To avoid it in the future,
change stable to etch, which will avoid this happening in another two
years or so when debian upgrades again.

It is normally a good idea to do a full upgrade before changing from one
release to the next, but if you were upgrading regularly, this shouldn't
be much of a problem.

HTH,
Tim Bowden
--