[plug] Debian broken

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue May 1 12:34:44 WST 2007

Tim Bowden wrote:

> It is normally a good idea to do a full upgrade before changing from one
> release to the next, but if you were upgrading regularly, this shouldn't
> be much of a problem.

Having done just this 2 days ago I had a hell of a time with the XFree->Xorg transition. I ended up
having to apt-get remove libx11-6 which removed everything graphical on the system, then apt-get
remove `deborphan` until there was nothing left to remove prior to apt-get install xserver-xorg to
get X back up and running.

I had horrible problems with xkb being broken. I had no keyboard in X and any key I touched just
cycled resolutions. Google was very little help, mainly people with a similar problem back in Ubuntu
Hoary.

Anyway, it's fixed now and I've got a relatively up-to-date system with X that works again. I just
have to install stuff as I find it missing after having removed anything remotely X related. It's no
biggie though.

Mine was a special case though I think as I had a debian-backports and debian-multimedia repo in
there somewhere and I'm pretty sure the X I was running was not debian sarge stock.

Other than that, the upgrade was painless. The only reason I did it was to get the latest version of
hplip and cups, and both of those upgraded and worked with no re-configuration. (As I've been used
to with on-line Debian upgrades since about forever)

Brad