[plug] Removing a disk from LVM

Nigel Duff nigel at dubh.id.au
Fri May 4 16:42:09 WST 2007

Hi list,

I am working(remotely) on a fileserver that holds a 5T LVM
volume.  One of the disks is showing signs of corruption[1] and I
am trying to remove it using pvmove/vgreduce.  However those
commands return an "Incorrect metadata area header checksum"
error.

I have tried recovering the physical volume metadata[2] but all
IDs are correct. The only other information I was able to find
suggested doing an e2fsck. I have ran a number of these of the
last few days all finishing saying the filesystem is 51.5%
contiguous. I still can't use vgreduce[3].

Does anyone have any ideas on what else I might try?

Thanks,

Nigel

[1] Mostly errors like :
Buffer I/O error on device dm-0, logical block 207906553
end_request: I/O error, dev hdo, sector 461363200

[2] http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/recovermetadata.html

[3] BTW, all calls such as pvdisplay,vgdisplay,lvdisplay etc show
the same metadata error.