[plug] Dialup Traffic Counter

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Wed May 9 17:37:58 WST 2007

"Carl Gherardi" <carl.gherardi at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 5/9/07, Timothy White <weirdit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Having recently gotten wireless broadband, I now need to monitor my
>> traffic usage a little better.
>> One way I have heard of doing it, is monitoring the syslog for the
>> disconnect lines, does anyone know of an easier way? Or a program that
>> you use to do it?

Use the modem as a bridge and run pppoe. You then have the option of
specifying arbitrary processing as the link goes up and down;
including recording byte counts.

ifconfig, run at intervals with cron, also produces byte counts over
specified interfaces.
\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | The object of life is not to be on the side of
 X   against HTML mail     | the majority but to escape finding oneself in
/ \  and postings          | the ranks of the insane.  -- Marcus Aurelius