[plug] Creating a dos boot disk

Arie Hol arie99 at ozemail.com.au
Thu May 10 18:31:20 WST 2007

On 10 May 2007 at 15:50, Tim Bowden wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm in need of a dos boot disk to do a bios upgrade.  Normally this
> would be a trivial operation, but it's been a long time since I've had
> windows system with a floppy drive.  There's plenty of boot disk's
> available for download on the net, but they all rely on a dos/win
> executable to create the disk image on the floppy.  Does anyone know of
> any way to create one in linux, or can anyone point me to an image I
can
> put on the floppy with dd?  The boot disk needs to either create a
> ramdrive or have a cdrom driver.
>
> Thanks,
> Tim Bowden

I have made a bootdisk image file and it is available at :

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~arie99@ozemail.com.au/bootdisk/dosboot.img

It will boot DOS as for Win98SE.
It was virus free when it left here.
It supports CDROM access (but the MSCDEX file is quite old - you may need
to find a later version)

Download it if you want, and to put it on a floppy disk just do :

dd if=dosboot.img of /dev/fd0 bs=512

It worked for me.

HTH

Regards Arie