[plug] What version of CPU and Linux do people use?

Scott Middleton scott at terminus.net.au
Mon May 14 11:52:52 WST 2007

Hi I am wondering what versions of Linux and the CPU architectures people are
using?

Eg Fedora Core 6 i586 on a core 2 duo.

Do many people use the AMD64 version?

I am also interested on what people prefer if they have a core 2 duo -
x86(i3/5/686) or AMD64?

The reason I am asking is that most Linux distributions have now brought out a
AMD64 (used to be x86_64) version. At first I thought this was only for AMD
processors but now since Core 2 Duo and a few others it is basically the same.
People using my on line shop (http://shop.linuxit.com.au) often ask which
version to get and I am generally telling them to get x86 since it is safer from
my perpective.

While writing this I found this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_64-bit_Linux_distributions

It seems if you have a Pentium 4 prescott, some versions of them are 64 bit
capable.

Kind Regards

Scott Middleton