[plug] What version of CPU and Linux do people use?

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:26:40 WST 2007

On 5/14/07, James L. Clarke <jamesc at global.net.au> wrote:

> Here are the ones I'm currently using:-
>
> Ubuntu 6.10 i386 on a Pentium 4
> Ubuntu 5.10 Server i386 on a Pentium 1/166(yes I'm still using a very old
> machine for my experimental server)
>
> Although in the past I've used Mandriva, Redhat, Debian and Slack.
>
> Regards,
>
> James Clarke
>
> http://www.pbase.com/jameslclarke

To summarise a point of choice: The main differences between x86 Linux and
x86-64 Linux are in applications. You'll get a wider range of apps on x86
(that just install and work more by default). With x86-64 it (can) be a
little more work because some apps just don't realise that x86-64 is x86
compatible, so you can have the best of both worlds there. However the pay
offs in x86-64 are in performance (not huge though).

So what do you want: an easier time, or a little more boost? I don't mind
getting my hands dirty personally, so I run x86-64 Linux.

Tomasz