[plug] (X)Ubuntu, older hardware (WAS: What version of CPU and Linux do people use?)

Gregory Orange gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com
Mon May 14 12:50:20 WST 2007

James L. Clarke wrote:
> Here are the ones I'm currently using:-
>
> Ubuntu 6.10 i386 on a Pentium 4
> Ubuntu 5.10 Server i386 on a Pentium 1/166(yes I'm still using a very old
> machine for my experimental server)

I've got an old P2 Toshiba laptop (300MHz I think) with 64MB RAM which
needs an OS reinstall coz the Win98 is full of junk. I am considering
Xubuntu, any recommendations on the viability of this? What sort of
(open?)office experience should I expect?

Otherwise I'll bite the bullet and find Win98SE and Office97 media for
the reinstall. Sure it'll just get reinfested but by the time it's
unworkable again it probably won't be viable hardware for regular use
any more.

Greg.