[plug] (X)Ubuntu, older hardware (WAS: What version of CPU and Linux do people use?)

James L. Clarke jamesc at global.net.au
Mon May 14 15:51:01 WST 2007

My Pentium 1/166 Machine has 128Mb of RAM and it's not running X. However until
two years ago it was used as my wife's desktop with dual boot NT4 SP6 and Ubuntu
 4.10. NT4 SP6 ran fine, but Ubuntu 4.10 was a bit of a dog on if but better
than Mandrake which it used to have on it before Ubuntu came about.

Well, when the printer broke and the new one required an upgrade to win2k which
was a total dog, we went out and got a iMac for my wife's desktop and I turned
this machine into a server.

So now my wife runs OS X Tiger on her desktop, I have a dual boot Windows XP
(extra pathetic) and Ubuntu 6.10 on my desktop, and Ubuntu 5.10 on my server.

James Clarke

http://www.pbase.com/jameslclarke