[plug] (X)Ubuntu, older hardware (WAS: What version of CPU and Linux do people use?)

Patrick Coleman blinken at gmail.com
Mon May 14 12:56:02 WST 2007

On 5/14/07, Gregory Orange <gregory.orange at metoceanengineers.com> wrote:
> James L. Clarke wrote:
> > Here are the ones I'm currently using:-
> >
> > Ubuntu 6.10 i386 on a Pentium 4
> > Ubuntu 5.10 Server i386 on a Pentium 1/166(yes I'm still using a very old
> > machine for my experimental server)
>
> I've got an old P2 Toshiba laptop (300MHz I think) with 64MB RAM which
> needs an OS reinstall coz the Win98 is full of junk. I am considering
> Xubuntu, any recommendations on the viability of this?

Haven't tried myself, but I imagine GNOME or KDE could be a little
sluggish. You might want to look at XFCE or Fluxbox or similar as a
desktop.

> What sort of
> (open?)office experience should I expect?

Put it this way: OpenOffice is slow on my 2GHz machine. It will work,
but just reaallly slloowwlly. There are other office packages/text
editors - perhaps someone else can recommend something. More ram will
help.

-Patrick