[plug] What version of CPU and Linux do people use?

Nick Bannon nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 15 15:49:17 WST 2007

On Tue, May 15, 2007 at 02:37:45PM +0800, Scott Middleton wrote:
[...]
> Is there anyone running and AMD64 port of Linux on a core2 duo, pentium
> extreme/D?

I've been using a dual core Pentium D 2.8GHz for about a year as a Xen
host (with amd64 guests); and also using a Turion 64 X2 laptop. Both
running Debian testing, then etch. I haven't noticed any missing software
whatsoever. The main frustration on the laptop was waiting until the
Free bcm43xx wireless driver was good enough to replace ndiswrapper.

Native OpenOffice.org works fine. Adobe Flash might have been an
exception, but these aren't my main webbrowsing machines, so no need
for chroot tricks; I haven't even bothered with the New and Improved
Free flash options. mplayer seems fully functional without w32codecs.

A Dell M90 Core2 Duo laptop at work seems happy, too - though the
installer couldn't see the CD, so it was network install time.

AMD64 does roll off the tongue, fingertips and regex'es more nicely than
x86_64 or EM64T, it deserves some attention versus ye olde i386.

Nick.

--
   Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal