[plug] BP-EXT 3 NextG modem on Linux?

Tomasz Grzegurzko tomasz89 at gmail.com
Sun May 20 08:20:38 WST 2007

On 5/19/07, caston at arach.net.au <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:

> Hi Tomasz,
>
> Yes please. What was the program you used?
>
> best regards,
>
> Chris

Okay here's what I did (abridged version).. I'm just cc'ing the list so
other people can see the recipe also.

First off, you'll have to use the enclosed Windows app to disable the
security "feature" on the device as I couldn't get it to work otherwise.
Anyway, plug it in to your Linux box. A 'lsusb' should show you a listing
with the vendor and product ID of the dongle, but (probably) without listing
its exact information. This is good. Do a 'modinfo usbserial' and you'll see
you can feed the vendor and product as parameters you can feed in to the
nice and generically written usbserial kernel module. So when you 'modprobe
usbserial vendor=0x<usb vendor ID from lsusb> product=0x<usb product ID from
lsusb>'  and dmesg should show you with /dev/ttyUSB[0-2]. /dev/ttyUSB1 is
what you're interested in. To test, you can try to use minicom on
/dev/ttyUSB1.

Once you're chatting away to the device (essentially it is almost the same
as an analog modem) I used Debian/Ubuntu's pppconfig to set up a connection.
The phone number you need is *99#. I gave dummy usernames and passwords in
to PAP authentication as it doesn't really use them anyway (and my manager
didn't give me these codes ;). From there on in, use 'pon bigpond' or
whatever you named the connection and you're good to go. I was on the
internet straight away!

Hope that helps.
Regards,
Tomasz Grzegurzko