[plug] BP-EXT 3 NextG modem on Linux?

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Sun May 20 10:46:49 WST 2007

On Sun, 2007-05-20 at 08:20 +0800, Tomasz Grzegurzko wrote:
> On 5/19/07, caston at arach.net.au <caston at arach.net.au> wrote:
>

>         Hi Tomasz,
>
>         Yes please. What was the program you used?
>
>         best regards,
>
>         Chris
>

> Okay here's what I did (abridged version).. I'm just cc'ing the list
> so other people can see the recipe also.
>
> First off, you'll have to use the enclosed Windows app to disable the
> security "feature" on the device as I couldn't get it to work
> otherwise.

Tomasz,

Do you mean "registration has already been completed for this device"
check box? The one that is under the "secret" diagnosis tab that you
need to hold down the left-shift key while entering options to get to.

> Anyway, plug it in to your Linux box. A 'lsusb' should show you a
> listing with the vendor and product ID of the dongle, but (probably)
> without listing its exact information. This is good. Do a 'modinfo
> usbserial' and you'll see you can feed the vendor and product as
> parameters you can feed in to the nice and generically written
> usbserial kernel module. So when you 'modprobe usbserial vendor=0x<usb
> vendor ID from lsusb> product=0x<usb product ID from lsusb>'  and
> dmesg should show you with /dev/ttyUSB[0-2]. /dev/ttyUSB1 is what
> you're interested in. To test, you can try to use minicom
> on /dev/ttyUSB1.
>
> Once you're chatting away to the device (essentially it is almost the
> same as an analog modem) I used Debian/Ubuntu's pppconfig to set up a
> connection. The phone number you need is *99#. I gave dummy usernames
> and passwords in to PAP authentication as it doesn't really use them
> anyway (and my manager didn't give me these codes ;).

I don't understand what you mean here. It wouldn't let me connect at all
without the correct user/pass for the demo account when I used kppp.

If you are saying that you only entered a dummy user/pass then how did
you authenticate?

> From there on in, use 'pon bigpond' or whatever you named the
> connection and you're good to go. I was on the internet straight
> away!

Sounds promising and it looks like I will be able to get it working
soonish :)

Thank you.

best regards,

Chris